Monday, November 17, 2008

Little Friends

This past weekend there were 8 babies in the NICU. I know CG, who is in the isolette next to Ella, her mom and her dad. I know the twins. Their grandma was Sam's teacher last year. I know where the babies are located and who is who, even if I don't know all their names or stories. Friday afternoon, while Sophie and I were visiting Ella, the baby girl on the end, started to crash. I knew I needed to leave. I found out during the weekend that she did not make it. She returned home to Heavenly Father. That was difficult for me to deal with. I do not know this family personally, but my heart, thoughts and prayers are with them. We lost a little friend this weekend. Sunday afternoon, we headed up to the hospital for a family visit. We take the kids on Saturday and/or Sunday for visits. When we got there, we were unable to go into the NICU because a new little friend was arriving...a 23 weeker. My hearts and prayers are with this family, as well.
Ella's nurse this weekend, Ellen (I won't say she is our favorite, but we do LOVE her), had put this heart in Ella's isolette. It beats like a mommy's heartbeat, so Ella can feel more "at home" -like she did in mommy's tummy.
Another little friend was introduced this weekend- "Mr. Binks". Ella was given a paci to try to suck on to help her with her suck reflex. She seemed interested for a bit, but then, she'd let go.
Big sister, Sophie, was able to touch her baby sister on the tiny foot.

Big sister, Maddie "hugging" Ella's tiny baby feet.

The boys and I were able to sneak in for a quick peak on Sunday just before the 23 weeker came in. We had taken the other kids for a visit Saturday, but Sam was at a football game. Ellen was sweet enough to hurry us in for a quick hello.
On cue, the girl waved goodbye to us....seriously. The boys told her goodbye, and she threw up her hand. It was hilarious! We love this girl. She has been with us 23 days. And even though, we have not been able to cuddle or hold her much in those 23 days, we have definitly fallen in love with her. We are grateful for every day we have with our precious baby sister and pray that she will continue to grow strong and progress each day.

6 comments:

Manda Panda said...

Oh, baby Ella...what a gift you are. We LOVE her too and cannot wait to be able to give her a cuddle and a kiss! Em, this morning Emma and I were catching up on your blog. Emma was mesmerized with the pics of Ella. She would not let me leave your blog for quite a while. I told her we had to go and she leaned forward and kissed Ella's face on the "pooter" screen. She seems to know that sweet girl. I think they must have been buddies!

p.s. I am so sad for your "little friend's" family. My heart & prayers go out to them.

Lindsay said...

What a little trooper she is! You guys are always thinking and praying for your family. Times like these make me wish that Uah was right next to Mississippi. We will keep Ella's little friends in our prayers! Love you!

hboover said...

I love that little girl. Thanks "Mommy" for keeping everyone up to date. I love you too.

Music Mama said...

She is beautiful. Thank you for keeping us up to date and posting all the pictures. We still pray for you and your family. Give all our love to Ella xoxoxoxoxox

Cyndi said...

Ella is definitely a special little girl, and she's so beautiful. I think of you often and pray for continued progress.

Faith said...

I've just been reading your latest posts...WOW, what an amazing family you all are. I can't wait to watch baby Ella grow up. I know there is one amazing woman inside that tiny body! I love you all and continue to keep you in our prayers. PLEASE let me know if you need anything. Lots of love and prayers, Brad, Faith, and kids

My little family

My little family
This is my beautiful, little family- Hilton, Emily, Jack ( 7), Sophie (4), Maddie (9) & Sam (11). Aren't the azaleas gorgeous? This was taken Easter sunday at my mom's house. The dogwoods and azaleas were in spectacular bloom.