Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Lazy? days of Summer?

At the beginning of Summer, our family headed to Ft. Morgan, Alabama for a week long beach vacation. I had spent months searching for the perfect spot. We wanted something off the beaten path but not too primitive. We stayed at the Dunes condos a mile from the end of the peninsula. What a blast!! Our condo is the second story balcony right above Jack's head. We loved our time there so much, as soon as we got home we booked it for next year. Unfortunatly and fortunatly, we had to cancel our reservation for next year because we will be attending the Forstyh family reunion in Utah.


This is the Burris farmer's market near Foley, Alabama. We stopped for a potty break and some treats. There were fresh coblers, cookies, cakes...too much to choose from. Of course we had to get a photo with the yummy giant peach. Alabama is known for their juicy peaches.


I had planned our meals very meticulously and brought most everything with us in a cooler. I wanted to park on Saturday and not leave for the entire week. We ate like kings. We did go out to eat in nearby Gulf Shores, AL one day, but for the most part we cooked and ate in our condo.
Our condo was just a few minutes stroll to the beach. Sophie loved building sandcastles and playing on the beach. The water was perfect and the waves were so much fun.
At the end of the peninsula, we caught a ferry to Dauphin Island. There was much to do and see there. We visited historic Ft. Gaines, a civil war fortress and The Dauphin Island Estuarium.


At night, we took our flashlights and buckets in search of ghost crabs. It was fun...and a little scary. Sophie was terrified. Maddie found so many hermit crabs. We let each of them bring one home. Poor hermit crabs.

This is Sam at the Estuarium. He will probably not appreciate my choice of pictures here, but I couldn't help it. He looks so cute. I think he looks like Fish out of water from "Chicken Little". Now I know he really won't appreciate it.

Jack loved every minute of the Estuarium. It was very hands on. Here, he and Sophie are "petting" sting rays. We also got to touch a shark.

This is my most "favoritest" photo. Gramps and Grandma camped for a few days just down the road from us. They came and played at the beach, swam in our pool,and ate with us one day. We went to their campground one night to hang out too. The kids played in the Mobile bay looking for more hermit crabs. We grilled steaks and made s'mores. It was nice sharing some of our vacation with them. We love them sooooooo much.

This was one of the most relaxing, enjoyable vacations we've ever had. Hilton wasn't right on board when I first brought up the idea of spending a week at the beach, but in the end, he loved every minute of it. One day at the beach, I looked around and couldn't find him. I finally spotted him out jumping and riding the waves with Sam. It was a simple thing, but it was beautiful. You'd have to know him like I do, I guess. It made everything so worth it! It was great having Gramps and Grandma closeby for a few days, and Hannah and Parker came and spent a night and day with us. Next time, we'll get a bigger condo for EVERYONE! The more the merrier!

7 comments:

Homegrown Family said...

Looks like you had alot of fun! It is nice to relax and get away from home sometimes. Erika

Cody and Utahna said...

How wonderful to simply enjoy each other for a week. We'll have to get the name of where you stayed and check it out. We plan on beaching in October. A little late in the season, but it works for us! Your page looks great, nice ambience with the Beach Boys :o)

Manda Panda said...

Love the new background! What a fun, fun vacation. I love the pic of "whitey" Gramps & Grandma and the brown Boovers...too cute. If I could get the hubby on board, I would LOVE a big family beach retreat with the "whole fam damily"!

Love you tons! - Amanda

Lindsay said...

What a fun trip! You have such a cute family! Can Mark and I come next time???

Unknown said...

Your pictures and commentary made me totally regret not coming to visit with Hannah and Parker.

mamabrandi said...

Hilton,

You have an AWESOME family!! :)

hannahshirley said...

I'm so glad that Parker and I decided to drive down! We had a blast. I'm sad it won't happen again next year. <3

My little family

My little family
This is my beautiful, little family- Hilton, Emily, Jack ( 7), Sophie (4), Maddie (9) & Sam (11). Aren't the azaleas gorgeous? This was taken Easter sunday at my mom's house. The dogwoods and azaleas were in spectacular bloom.