Monday, May 12, 2008

No Slow Kids here

I have never considered myself one of "those moms". You know....the braggy mom with the perfect kids whose poop don't stink. Well, the poop at are house definitly stinks (oh, man. It stinks.), but I just might be one of "those moms". Is it so bad ,though, to be proud of your kids? No, indeed. I imagine that most people who blog do so in part to show off or brag just a bit about their sweet, precious, stinky poop smelling, not so perfect, but perfect for them children. So, here goes. I have a 5th grader, Sam; a 3rd grader, Maddie; and a 2nd grader, Jack. They all are in the intellectually gifted program- EXCEL- at our school. I didn't think it was that much of a big deal, but I have realized after lots of comments from teachers, parents-even students- that it might be a little bit of a semi-big deal. Maybe to the families who have only one child in the program, and then have to answer the questions of the other non-EXCEL member sibling(s). Mommy, what is gifted? Am I gifted?
This sign is just down the street from us...definitly not referring to my children. (Oh, I hope my neighbors don't blog....highly unlikely, but you never know). This last week we had awards day for second and third grade. My Jack is smart. He is funny and FULL of personality, pep and mischief. I knew he might be up for some scholarly awards because he is a smarty pants. Sure enough. He was- all A's, 1st place in Math, Reading, Journaling...a second place... He got a couple trophies for some other things- penmanship, spelling- I don't know. I'll just say he loaded up. I was surprised when he recieved the trophy for best behaved. I would've expected class clown or funniest, but I was surprised. While I'm at it, he also got the Citizenship Award. They only award 2 girls and 2 boys in each grade this one, so I was extra proud of my little man. He is the littliest one in his class. He was a preemie, you know. Around here we believe big things come in small packages. Maddie also took home quite a few awards. In third grade, they stop awarding so many- no ribbons; no trophies. It's time to get serious, I guess. She got a certificate for all A's and an accelerated reader award- she was 2 points shy of getting a medal. Her favorite award was given by her teacher, Mrs. Brumfield- the M&M award- small and sweet. Later Friday afternoon, she performed, "Every Day" from High School Musical II in the school talent show. I begged her to let me put the video on our blog, but she's shy about it. I will respect her and not turn into the mommy papparazzi, going against her will, but I was soooooooo proud of her. Gabriella, watch out! I think it might have been at that talent show, as we (and only we ) held up the American Idol- like posters, reading Maddie is #1..We love Maddie, when I realized yes. I have joined the ranks. I am one of those moms....and you know, I think I'm just fine with that.

7 comments:

Manda Panda said...

Em, congratulations on being the first to admit that you're one of those moms. The visual of ya'll with the posters at Maddie's talent show seriously almost made me pee! Thanks for that! AWESOME post...blog it up!!!!

hannahshirley said...

Your kids=genius.
I challenge my future posterity vs. your minions.

Lindsay said...

Wow, Im super impressed! What smartie pants! You have the right to brag! I always wanted to be in GATE, I think it stands for Gifted and talented...not sure on the E...most likely thats part of the reason I didn't make the cut. Love ya girl!

Ang said...

We love the Boovers! I hope our Jackson Forsyth is as smart as yours!

Cyndi said...

Em, Congratulations on such a smart and talented bunch!! If your Mama aint proud of ya, who will be???? So let everyone (and especially them) know how proud you are! P.S. I'm still proud of my little kids all grown up! Love ya

Erin said...

Way to go Boovers! I always hoped my little brownies would be as cute as yours, and I hope they're just as smart too!

CBoover said...

Okay.....I'm new to the whole Blogging phenomenon, so excuse my delay of response (unlike your your kids, I AM a little slow! LOL!)

I'm sure I am biased, but c'mon....you can't bragg enough! Again, Aunt KiKi is SUPER proud of all you kiddos!

My little family

My little family
This is my beautiful, little family- Hilton, Emily, Jack ( 7), Sophie (4), Maddie (9) & Sam (11). Aren't the azaleas gorgeous? This was taken Easter sunday at my mom's house. The dogwoods and azaleas were in spectacular bloom.